Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Goodbye, Old Friends

I ran my first race in Converse sneakers.  It was the La Jolla Shores 5k in 2002 and all I really remember was that it was gorgeous and there was free food at the end.  I ran it again the next year in a pair of Nike's that I'd already owned for several years and just replaced less than a week ago.

Seriously though, I need a moment of silence for these shoes.  I had 13 good years in them (and way over the maximum 500 miles experts recommend before replacement).

The first time I went out in them, after a long hiatus from running, I could barely do a mile before feeling like I was really and truly going to die.  I ran because I was living alone for the first time and a little lonely and hey, I still have these?!  It became a daily thing that very quickly, I couldn't live without.  I had no money, few friends, but I had my running shoes.

And then I entered a race.  And then another one.  And then I registered for the Missoula Half Marathon.  My old Nike's got me through 400 miles of training and didn't miss a beat.

I'm planning on eight or nine races in 2013 (two of which are half marathons) so I decided, finally, to retire my shoes.  I bought new ones a few days ago at The Runner's Edge (seriously, if you're in Missoula - go there).  I took them on an inaugural run and I love them.  Also, they're already dirty, which is good.  If they're going to be my shoes, they have to be tough.  Just ask the Nike's.

Run for the Luck of It 2012 in Missoula, MT

No comments:

Post a Comment