Monday, May 13, 2013

Conservative Runs and Coughing Up Lungs

A couple weeks ago, I was getting ready for something and noticed (if I squinted with both eyes and the lights were dim, maybe I took out one contact) that my body was starting to show real results from training.  Maybe.  I think.  Regardless, with a race coming up, it felt pretty good.

The YMCA Riverbank Run was my second race of the year and I was hoping to see some seconds/minutes shaved from my 5K time.  I have a terrible time psyching myself out, so the week before the race I never uttered the phrase "PR."  I thought it a lot though.

A few days before the race, I caught a cold.  I'm not one to take so much as an aspirin, but this time I bought the pharmacy.  Zicam, Mucinex, multi-vitamins, it's all in my cupboard now.  I took Advil when I spiked a temperature.  I drank water and tried to eat regular meals even though I had no appetite and couldn't taste anything.  I took two days off from work and running.  I felt atrophied.

The race was a Saturday morning and by Wednesday, I felt enough cabin fever to pull off a slightly disastrous four miler.  Thursday, I did a little better at two miles and on Friday, I tried four miles again.

The problem was the breathing.  I couldn't really do it.  My chest was congested, my nose was stuffy, and I was wheezing by a mile out.  On Friday, I took my last Zicam, went to bed early, and hoped for the best.
Pre-race tree pose

The 5K course for the Riverbank Run is probably my favorite of all Missoula races.  It starts downtown and curves through the University of Montana campus, passing through the U neighborhood on the way.  It makes a sharp turn onto the Kim Williams trail and then is a straightaway to the end.


And they're off!

The first mile went great.  It was a beautiful morning, all the runners were chatting and laughing, and there was a guy ringing a giant cowbell about half a mile in.  Partway through the second mile, my stuffy nose caught up with me and I had trouble catching my breath.  It slowed me down pretty significantly.

Huffing and puffing


No, it wasn't my best race, but I had a good time.  Sam and his mom were there cheering and having people cheer for you is one of the best feelings ever.

All the pretty


Lessons for next time:
  • Add speed work.  I have a couple ideas how, Sam to help me with timing, and a track I can use.  I want to make a "need for speed" joke here, but that would be silly.  Right?
  • Nothing beats a positive mindset.  
  • And last, don't get sick.  Like ever again.  
My next 5K is in October where I'll still be chasing that elusive PR.  And next month is the Pengelly Double and Single Dip.  Bring on Mt. Sentinel!

  


No comments:

Post a Comment