Thursday, November 14, 2013

Nerves and Cookies

I sent my boyfriend, Sam, a text that read, "I'm kind of sick to my stomach."  And then I thought, I should probably write about this.

On Sunday, I'll be running the Big Sur Half Marathon with a few thousand kindly strangers.  I hope they're kindly (note: please be nice to me, I'm really nervous).  Also, it's my first destination race.

Monterey, CA.


Luckily, the destination is my home state of California.  The out and back course begins in Monterey, near the wharf, and winds its way through Cannery Row, into Pacific Grove and Asilomar Beach.  It's oceanfront nearly the entire way.

Cannery Row in Monterey, CA.

Sam asked me why I felt sick.  I told him that I was nervous about the race and also two chocolate chip cookies I ate that may have been a bit suspect.  Pre-race jitters are familiar to me and many other runners, but I also don't like flying, crowds (especially of strangers), or most members of airport security.  Sorry about that last one, but it's true.  Anxiety, thy name is Ashley.

I'm in shape for it after running a half marathon in July and then maintaining that level of fitness.  It will be a beautiful course in a beautiful city.  It is forecast to be perfect running weather.  The flight, hotel, and rental car are booked.  But I still feel a vague, jittery sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

The excitement won't come, I know from some experience, until I toe that line on Sunday morning.  The nerves change to adrenaline and excitement and we're off.  The race will be the payoff.

Until then, I'll be making list after list of everything I don't want to forget because it's my process.

Also, no more cookies.



4 comments:

  1. We are proud that you have come back to as you say "YOUR HOME STATE." First of all you are not the only person that has flown who hates to fly. So you can kick that to the curb. Next, You an avid reader, should soak in her surroundings, your running through a piece of "American Literature". Think of first time John Steinbeck came to town. I bet he to was a bundle of nerves. So as your cousin and one who watched you grow from a child to a wonderful adult who happens to run. Suck it up and Run because I am sure Mr. Steinbeck is going to be watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog wish you would write more! You go girl! Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi, the whole trip was awesome! I'll have a recap up in the next day or two.

      Delete